Sunday, December 9, 2018

Mindful Reflection

Mindful Reflection Protocol, Culturally Responsive Teaching
Below, through a culturally responsive lens, I share how some of my assumptions clouded my perceptions and actions as a teacher. When we have trouble interacting and reaching students, it’s often easy to chalk it up to factors beyond our control without truly understanding and diagnosing the reasons and our role. While I use the protocol to highlight an experience from my teaching, I recognize that I must strive to better understand the deeper meaning of student behaviors. This can only be done through reflection and communication.
I appreciated that this protocol can be used to support not only culturally marginalized groups, students with disabilities, and truly any student we’re not reaching. It can help us ensure that all students are well supported and successful.
Explain the Attributions That You Have About the Student
I taught D’andre in both Individual Reading and World History I. D’andre was often withdrawn and non-participatory, and when he participated, more often than not it was disruptive. He was particularly quiet--often asleep--in reading, which was first period and was more talkative and disruptive during history, which was in the afternoon. I don’t remember D’andre  being belligerent or argumentative. Despite being intelligent and capable, his negative behaviors were relatively constant in all of classes. His grades, attendance and disciplinary record did not correlate with his above average cognitive abilities.
Write Out and Reflect on Your Feelings and Thoughts When Working with the Student
As a member of the freshman transition team, the five of us met regularly to discuss our students and develop action plans. While I can’t remember the specifics, I know we were frustrated; not just with D’andre’s behaviors but with D’andre. After the first marking period, I remember sharing with the team an offer I made to students who failed to “recover” their grades. Frustratingly, D’andre was the only student who didn’t take me up on my offer. I’m sure I chalked this up to him being defiant, uninterested, immature, etc. His lack of effort and disruptive behaviors couldn’t be attributed to academic readiness, further exacerbating the situation.
During a reading class, my negative feelings got the better of me. We were in small groups and D’andre was telling a story that didn’t seem on topic. I responded with something along the lines of, “I’m glad you’re awake today and working with your group, but this isn’t what we’re talking about.”
Dripping with sarcasm (albeit not intentional), my comment was quickly met with “Whateva. I’ll just go to sleep.” Of course, his rebuttal increased my frustration and our level of conflict.
Consider Alternative Explanations by Reviewing Your Documentation and Reflections
D’andre was not following the prescribed lesson plan that day--or was he? I’m not sure. I didn’t truly listen to the group’s conversation, nor did I provide him with an “out” and an opportunity to respond. No matter the class, D’andre rarely participated in group work. Yet, today he was participating. Was he actually engaged? Was he attempting to participate, demonstrate to his peers his ability? Was there something in the story that connected with him  and inspired him to share?
Regardless, I didn’t even give him a chance. I automatically viewed his behavior negatively. If he was any other student, would I have reacted in the same way? Was my response influenced by his race (African-American) or gender?
Check Your Assumptions
I had reached out to D’andre’s mother multiple times, but had never heard back from her. Ashamedly, I’m sure I had shifted to a fixed mindset and started to blame him, his home life, Warrenton Middle School, Brumfield Elementary, and everyone and everything else for his poor performance. I felt defeated.
One day, I remember talking to Mr. Ashby, my assistant basketball coach, an African-American and someone who taught D’andre at Warrenton Middle. To my surprise, he said he had a great relationship with D’andre, his family and had actually taught his mother. He shared that she was a hard-working mother, who worked two jobs, and was raising her kids and her sister’s children. D’andre shouldered much of the responsibility for helping around the home.
Mr. Ashby shared that he also suspected that D’andre’s mother’s boyfriend (who was not D’andre’s father but was the father of a couple of the children in the house) had been in-and-out of trouble with the police.
Make a Plan
In learning about D’andre’s situation, I reflected on my practices and reconsidered my approaches. I no longer viewed D’andre as immature and irresponsible; just the opposite actually. D’andre had much to offer and I needed to tap into this.
I started by sharing what I had learned with the other teachers on the freshman transition team. I was beginning to understand why D’andre slept in class and seemed disengaged. Mr. Ashby agreed to come over one morning and have a conversation with D’andre. D’andre shared that reading often put him asleep because he was constantly tired and that he was easily agitated in class by both some of his immature peers and often by my actions. He preferred working alone in class and he felt helpless in my class because I assigned too much work.
Right off the bat, I agreed to allow D’andre to choose a new seat in history and I’d allow him to work individually in my “office,” a room off the classroom with a couple of desks. I also explained to him my grading was based around standards and mastery, I’d see what I could change. We allowed D’andre to read while standing to see if that would help.
Continuosly Revisit This Process to Reassess Your Attributions and Your Progress with the Student
I wish I could say that my actions turned D’andre’s freshman year around. They didn’t, but at least we were heading in the right direction. Our interactions became more positive and his behaviors and grades slowly improved. He did benefit from working individually and in isolation, but at times he chose not to. And when he stayed in class, he negatively influenced others. He and I talked about this often, but I never figured out the rhyme or reason, nor did I notice any patterns. The wall between him and I remained. It just wasn’t as high.
In reading class, he rarely read. He only stood to read a couple of times. Mrs. Parks, my co-teacher, and I did alter our daily schedule to make the independent reading later in the period, and we tried to include more physical state changes in our class. Ironically, this benefited the rest of the students more than D’andre.
Unfortunately, D’andre failed World History I. I taught D’andre again the next year in Academic Coaching and his second year was--by all measures--a success. Like is often the case, it wasn’t just D’andre who learned that year. I recognized that the most important questions I can ask myself about students who are not experiencing success are How can I understand this student better? and What can I do to make a difference?
Important Information
Midterm Exam Schedule Below
December 10: Panera Fundraiser for Music Boosters
Fundraiser for MHS Music Boosters general fund, which we use to help pay for equipment and other music program needs. On Monday, December 10th from 4pm-8pm, come get a meal at Panera Bread , 5th Street Station. If you present the flyer (use link below) either printed or on your phone, Panera will donate 20% of sales to the Music Boosters. Send the flyer to everyone your know! Feel free to share on your social media accounts and anywhere else. Remember: you need to have either a paper copy of the flyer or be able to show it on your phone.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KAFLg5b70jLcD0xDkMOJl15f_ZADQoMJ/view?usp=sharing 
December 19: Faculty Meeting before school
December 19: Staff luncheon / Potato Bar
January 2: Monticello-based PD. 9-12: Culturally Responsive Teaching Focus Groups, Afternoons: PLC-based work
Field Trips and SOLs
SOLs Start Up (see Cindy’s email/Monticello Outlook Calendar)
Birthdays
December 15: John Skelton
December 17: William Wells, custodian
Shout Outs
Thank you Nanette for organizing our staff winter social!
Useful Information
Bell Schedules : http://bit.ly/MOHSbells
We’ve got something new! Want something included on the Monticello Outlook Calendar, the Monticello website or in the PowerSchool Daily Bulletin (viewed by parents, students and staff)? Please use this link https://goo.gl/forms/bIjfJLKokWPcEHx33 
Worth Your Time

Midterm Exams Bell Schedule

Midterm Exams Bell Schedule
8:55-10:55
Exam Period 1

11:00-12:40
Class Period
1st lunch: 10:55-11:25
2nd lunch: 11:35-12:00
3rd lunch: 12:10-12:40
12:45-2:45
Exam Period 2

2:50-3:50
Class Period

Midterm Exam Schedule
Friday,
Dec 14
Monday,
Dec 17
Tuesday,
Dec 18
Wednesday, Dec 19
1B-exam
1A-exam
2B-exam
2A-exam
2b*
2a*
1b*
1a*
3B-exam
3A-exam
4B-exam
4A-exam
4b
4A
3b
3a
Midterm Exam Schedule
December 14
8:55-10:55
1B Exam
11:00-12:40
2B Class

Class
Teachers
Lunch 1
10:55-11:25
11:30-12:40
Normal 2B Lunch Schedules
Lunch 2
11:35-12:00
11:00-11:30 &
12:05-12:40
Lunch 3
12:15-12:40
11:00-12:10
12:45-2:45
3B Exam
2:50-3:50
4B Class
Midterm Exam Schedule
December 17
8:55-10:55
1A Exam
11:00-12:40
2A Class

Class
Teachers
Lunch 1
10:55-11:25
11:30-12:40
Normal 2A Lunch Schedules
Lunch 2
11:35-12:00
11:00-11:30 &
12:05-12:40
Lunch 3
12:15-12:40
11:00-12:10
12:45-2:45
3A Exam
2:50-3:50
4A Class
Midterm Exam Schedule
December 18
8:55-10:55
2B Exam
11:00-12:40
1B Class

Class
Teachers
Lunch 1
10:55-11:25
11:30-12:40
Bendall, Bradley, D. Brown, Bush, Colgan, Dove, Lindemann, McDaniel, Omesiete, Parsons, Trent, Waters, Williams, Wililamson
Lunch 2
11:35-12:00
11:00-11:30 &
12:05-12:40
Ayres, Baber, Csapo, Huneycutt Deegan, Eliason, Mann, McClung, McDonald, Mound, Rowanhill, Scott, Shepherd, Smith, Stallings, Stott, Streit, Stallings, Streit, Sullivan, Warren,
Lunch 3
12:15-12:40
11:00-12:10
Easton, Frazier,  Garland,  Inman, Kai, Lloyd, McCaskill, Meade, Parks,  Rocco, Schafer, Skelton, Thomas, Wade, Wilkerson
12:45-2:45
4B Exam
2:50-3:50
3B Class
        `
Midterm Exam Schedule
December 19
8:55-10:55
2A  Exam
11:00-12:40
1A Class

Class
Teachers
Lunch 1
10:55-11:25
11:30-12:40
Ayres, Bailey, Deegan, Eliason, Escobar, Huneycutt, Mann, Mound, Omesiete, Shepherd, Smith, Stott, Sullivan,  Warren, Waidelich,
Lunch 2
11:35-12:00
11:00-11:30 &
12:05-12:40
Bendall, Eisenhauer, Easton, Fisher, Haney, Inman, Lipscomb, Meade, Parks, Parsons, Pippin, Redd, Reynolds, Ritchie, Schafer, Skelton, Tapscott, Wade
Lunch 3
12:15-12:40
11:00-12:10
Di Battista, Bradley, D. Brown, Dove, Dudley, Frazier, Garland,  Kai, Keith,  Lloyd, Lindemann, Mann, McClung, McDaniel, Rocco, Stanek, Thomas, Trent, Waters, Wilkerson, Williamson
12:45-2:45
4A Exam
2:50-3:50
3A  Class

high respect; whereas in another, it might indicate lack of respect). We use this common concern to walk through the process of understanding the deeper meaning of behavior in the classroom by introducing and applying a process

No comments:

Post a Comment