Sunday, September 22, 2019

Chose 1 Thing

Excellence in Education: Choose 1 Thing
In writing Mustang Memos, I sometimes struggle writing the first section because I don’t want to seem preachy, nor do I want to discredit good instruction. I still remember teachers/friends of mine at Kettle Run (my previous school) commenting, “I know you don’t like lectures.”
The fact is that lectures and other traditional teaching methods can be effective when used appropriately--just like every means of delivering instruction. Many of my memos suggested alternative means of delivering instruction and mistakenly made it seem that I was anti-lecture. But, as a teacher, I often used direct instruction, and I think for many of lessons, my lectures were darn good.
Lectures, worksheets, and other “traditional” instructional methods, often get a bad rap. We should focus on balance and emphasizing our strengths as teachers instead of being all things to all people.
One size does not fit all. This applies to both students and teachers. We should proactively design learning experiences that provide multiple means of engagement, means of representation, and means of action and expression (UDL principles). Too often, however, we discount methods that are proven and too often we try too much.
As a basketball coach, for example, I tried to install too many plays for every situation. This only confused my student-athletes and took away from their ability to master the  fundamentals. As a teacher, I often found myself trying the newest and flashiest strategy, when my time and energy would’ve been better served perfecting something I was already really good at, such as adding more formative assessments to my mini-lectures.
I hope Mustang Memos occasionally inspire  you to try new strategies, but I’d rather you work on perfecting a strategy and focusing on your strengths. Simply ask yourself, Are my students learning and making significant progress? What can I do to advance their learning and my own practices? Choose methods of instruction and student engagement that are based upon your style, strengths, philosophy and comfort level to ensure student success.
Excellence in Education: Avoiding a Power Struggle
When a student possesses the necessary skills to complete a task and challenges your authority, this is often indicative of his/her desire to take control. Here’s a simple suggestion to preserve his/her need for power and ensuring compliance and it only takes two simple sentences.
“We both know you have the power to (insert desired behavior)”
“Thanks for using it.”
Please note that this works when a student is engaged in a power struggle and the skills are present.
Tasks, Important Information, Upcoming Events
Mustang Morning: Mustang Morning sessions have been created for the month of October. Please continue to request students.
Parent-Teacher Conference Links
Conferences are Thursday 10/3 and again Thursday 10/17 (separate sign up to follow), both from 4:30-7:00.
 Please double check the appropriate link for accuracy of the following: Spelling of your name (and that I didn’t inadvertently forget and Location where you will meet parents for conferences
 You may also block off up to Three 10 minute time slots for a 30min dinner break. Please do that ASAP as these links will go live to parents early next week!
Links by last names:
Thanks Ms. Fisher!
September 25: Interim Period Ends
September 27: Pep Rally Bell Schedule
October 16: PSAT / CWRA Tests (3rd and 4th periods will meet)
October 31: End of Quarter; 10th grade field trip to Career Expo (will miss Mustang Morning and 2nd period)
Schoology Support Survey Let John know where you’d like support with Schoology. Thanks John for hosting these lunch and learns as we integrate Schoology with fidelity!
Homecoming Dance Chaperones We need help in various locations; taking tickets, sitting/standing near exits, coat/shoe check, food tables, and walking around the dance floor. If there is something specific you would like to help with, just let me know. When you reply, please let me know if you would like 1st shift, 2ndshift, or both. The times are as follows: 1st Shift - 7:45-9:45 & 2nd Shift - 9:30 -11:00. ~Ms Csapo and Ms Colgan  
Birthdays
9/26: Monique Faruque
9/27: Jennifer Csapo
Useful Information
Bell Schedules http://bit.ly/MustangBells 
Seeking volunteers? ACPS is attempting to expand volunteer outreach and help teachers find volunteers. Here’s a form that takes a minute to complete.
Want something included on the Monticello Outlook Calendar, the Monticello website, in the PowerSchool Daily Bulletin, schoolwide Schoology accounts, or the student newsletter (viewed by parents, students and staff)? Please use this link https://goo.gl/forms/bIjfJLKokWPcEHx33 
Worth Your Time
Pep Rally Bell Schedule
7:40-8:40
Zero Period
8:55-10:18
1st Period
10:23-12:15
2nd Period
Lunch
Class
1st: 11:19-11:54
10:23-11:15;
11:58:12:19
2nd: 11:54-12:19
10:23-11:49
12:19-1:42
3rd Period
1:47-3:10
4th Period
3:10-3:50
Pep Rally
Please wait for the band or an announcement to dismiss your class.


No comments:

Post a Comment