Sunday, August 18, 2019

A Person's Name Is Their Identity

Ideas in Education: A Person’s Name Is Their Identity
Growing up, I had a male friend whose first name was Michel. I still remember riding the bus home from Tilden Intermediate and him lamenting that one teacher acted surprised that he was a male and another pronounced his name Michael. Looking back at this, I’m sure I didn’t empathize with him enough, and I’m actually quite surprised because Tilden Intermediate’s student population was quite diverse and truly worldly. Michel’s identity as a person and a French Canadian was compromised on this first day of 7th grade.
My name, of course, is quite easy to pronounce, but is often misspelled Reid. There have been times where I’ve gotten a complimentary email/card from a superior and the salutation spells my name Reid. It devalues the message.
As you prepare for the first day, please remember that a student’s name is their identity. Please ensure that you have a process to ensure correct pronunciation of student names and learn their names as quickly as possible.
My first day routine looked like this:
I stood at the threshold of my classroom and greeted each student with a handshake. As I shook their hands, I introduced myself. Of course, many introduced themselves in response but others needed prompting And what’s your name?
I then tried to ask a generic conversation starter using the student’s name. Some of my favorites were to compliment and ask about their clothing or to ask about their other classes or what was for lunch. Of course, during these mini-conversations, the line grew outside my classroom, but what the heck, this set the tone for the entire year. Although I do remember one year when I was in a trailer and it was raining on the first day, but that’s another story.
Most importantly, I wanted to make sure I pronounced each student’s name correctly.
What’s your first day routine? How do you learn your student’s names?
Ideas in Education: Egg Hunt Challenge Follow-Up
I had a ton of fun watching you complete and compete in our Egg Hunt PLC Challenge. A couple of reflective notes: First, If I were to do this again, I would’ve split the groups in half to ensure everyone was learning and I would have more golden egg questions. I’m still trying to tweak this instructional strategy to make ALL students are engaged in learning and how it could be differentiated and scaffolded. Ideas? 
A couple of tidbits:
Many groups skipped the questions on Common Challenges. This makes sense since this is brand-spanking new. The common challenge serves a couple of purposes. First, it is a way for a PLC to tackle an agreed upon problem. For example, our students are struggling with graphing equations. The common challenge protocol helps the PLC decide on a research-based strategy. The common challenge can also be used whenever a teacher is experiencing an instructional challenge.
4 pre-assessments and 4 common assessments should be administered.
PLCs should meet for 45 minutes per week.
Keep reading for the winning teams!
Important Dates and Information 
Monticello Staff/Faculty Schoology: Access code: SV98-9878-JMCB6
Be sure your Morning Announcement Stream is working. The broadcast is currently streaming a loop of our opener from last spring. I will keep it broadcasting all day. When you have a free minute, please test the stream by going to the following link: http://streaming.k12albemarle.org/ACPS/links.htm 
Make sure to click “Monticello”.  Also, please note that you can mute and adjust volume in the flash player of the stream. Please drop Cullen (cwade@k12albemarle.org) an email if you’re experiencing problems or have questions.
Monday, August 19
9:00-10:00
Collaborative and Co-teachers
All teachers who co-teach (ESL, Special Ed)
Forum
10:15-10:35--Three members from each group attend a session together.
Session
Location
Budget/Fundraisers/Kronos/SUBS
Parking in spaces/School Security/what is your hope for your students--tuesday at lunch
Rick/Nanette
Forum
Field Trips/Crisis Management/Anonymous Alerts
Hank
Media Center
TPA/Lunch Schedule/MM signup
Reed/Patricia
R102
Counseling/Athletics
Matt/Irvin
R103
10:45-11:15 Reconvene as your team and share out your session information
11:15-11:30 Team Assessment--winning team gets lunch
12:30-1:30
PLC Group 1
1:45-2:45
PLC Group 2
Tuesday, August 20
11:15-1:00
Faculty Meeting/Lunch (Provided)
All Staff
Forum
PLC 1 Groups
AFDA
Chemistry
Geometry
Earth Science
World Geography
US Government
English 9
English 12
Spanish
PLC 2 Groups
Geometry
Algebra
Biology
World History
US History
English 10
English 11
German
Health/PE
Shout Outs  
BEST. TEACHER. TURNOUT. Thank you to all of our staff who attended our Southwood Community Back to School Festival. Each year, we have more faculty attend this event every year. Record setting!
Congratulations to Groups 3 and 7 who tied in the Easter Egg PLC Challenge. Be on the lookout for a prize in your mailboxes.
Birthdays
Coming soon!
Useful Information
Bell Schedules http://bit.ly/MustangBells 
Want something included on the Monticello Outlook Calendar, the Monticello website, in the PowerSchool Daily Bulletin, or the student newsletter (viewed by parents, students and staff)? Please use this link https://goo.gl/forms/bIjfJLKokWPcEHx33 
Worth Your Time

No comments:

Post a Comment