Sunday, March 4, 2018

Learned Helplessness

Excellence in Education: Despair and Learned Helplessness 
A couple of weeks ago, I was at one of Charlottesville's many breweries with some friends who possessed an expansive knowledge of beer (no it wasn't Chris Stanek or another staff member). My knowledge of beer, however, is limited; barely knowing the difference between a lager and an ale. My dining companions discussed aromas, ingredients, mouthfeel and finish, while comparing their beverages to other beers that I've never heard of, and surely have never tasted. 

For a while I tried to mimic them. Look, swirl, smell, drink. Repeat. 

While I'm sure I picked up some little nuances I wouldn't have otherwise noticed, it was clear to me and them that my expertise was pretty much limited to I like it, It's OK, I don't like it

Way before it was trendy, my dad homebrewed with a friend who would later start one of Virginia's first microbreweries. Family vacations still center around visiting breweries--honestly, I think my family vacations in San Diego yearly, not to visit my aunts, but rather to visit the many breweries there.On top of that, a couple of years ago, my dad was a panelist for the Washington Post's Beer Madness. My brother, who has lived in Europe since 1999, can almost match my dad's expertise in beer. As someone who loves to cook AND eat, I've tried to learn more about beer and wine. Despite, or maybe in spite, of all of this, my knowledge of both remains extremely limited. 

I want to learn more about beer and wine, but for some reason, I can't. Honestly, as I sat there at the brewery with my friends, I felt sorta' stupid and left out. Yeah, I know my friends weren't thinking, Dang, Reed really is lazy and stupid. But, I felt that way.

I've listened to my dad, my brother, and friends talk about beer for over 30 years. I subscribe to Food and Wine; I visit websites and breweries trying to become more knowledgeable. But, I still lack a basic knowledge. Again, I feel pretty helpless. Almost stupid.

I imagine many of our students feel the same way, especially when a disability impedes their progress. Over the years, I've made fewer attempts to become knowledgeable about beer. For whatever, the reason, I experience a learned helplessness. And by no stretch of the imagination, is my learned helplessness limited to beer. I can't memorize poems, phone numbers, addresses. Don't ask for my help with anything mechanical either. 

Here I am, a grown adult with a master's degree, and I felt inadequate because I lacked knowledge about beer! Seriously

Many of our students are stuck in this vicious cycle that reinforces feelings of stupidity, self-doubt and a fixed mindset. This could be the freshman who has failed every Earth  Science test, or the junior who who has never passed an SOL, or the senior who previously took four AP classes but never scored higher than a 2. Any of these students might be thinking, I can't do this! I can't do this! This is too hard. I'm stupid and no good at ____. 

Filled with self-doubt, the student may feel there is nothing he or she can do to be successful and fail without even trying. On top of that, we often label these students as unmotivated or lazy. 
 
Combating Learned Helplessness 


  1. We must begin by scaffolding and differentiating instruction to ensure we meet students where they are. Unfortunately, our job as high school educators is more difficult when the learned helplessness is deeply ingrained. In my beer tasting example, I'm often surrounded by experts, but if it were watered down  (pun intended), I may experience some learning success. 
  2. Share personal experiences and stories with students where you overcame some of your deficiencies. 
  3. Try to teach to student's strengths and build upon previous successes no matter how small. If a student believes they're good at something, they'll be more likely apply themselves. 
  4. Focus on each student's potential by recognizing effort and growth. 
  5. Allow students multiple attempts at learning. By allowing students to redo or retake assessments, we're demonstrating a belief in their abilities and allowing them to progress. 
  6. Try something different. When a student doesn't learn something, this as much a reflection on us as it the student. 
What are some strategies you use to combat learned helplessness? How do you help students who seem to give up? 

Need to Knows 
March 8: Parent-Teacher Conferences  

March 14: Student Walk Out to End Gun Violence (more details coming)
  
March 15: Faculty Focus Group


March 16Because of SOLs, this will be an A-Day 


March 2 was intended to be used for completion of the school climate survey, but because of school being canceled, this will now be completed on March 27. Because of the middle school visits occurring on this day, we will not have Mustang Morning. 


This is the 2nd part of a brief climate survey. Also students who did not complete the state climate survey (were absent) will be required to complete it. The climate survey consists of 4 questions plus some demographic questions. More information regarding the state survey redo will be forthcoming. 

For the climate survey (all students)
Students, today we are asking you to complete a school climate survey. The data from the survey will be used as part of our school improvement plan to measure how we are meeting the needs of our students and to help us improve. Your voice is important

To take the survey, please visit http://bit.ly/StangStudentSurvey  

For students who missed the Virginia Climate Survey: 
This is a statewide survey intended to provide the school, the district and the state with valuable information. Your participation is voluntary. The link for the survey is located on the Monticello website and linked here  The password for the Student Survey is:  WIN428

March 28-29: Midterm Exams for Semester Classes 
March 30: 1/2 Day, this will be a B-Day 



Shout Outs



Field Trips
















Birthdays
March 4: John Kinney 
March 7: Sarah Stallings 
March 12: Jenn Meade 


Useful Information
Technology / Website Permission Request Form Please use this form to request use of a website or any resource that requires student log-in if the site is not already on the approved list. DART approved list
Link to Athletic calendar, schedules and rosters

Beginning this year, graduates from ACPS can earn such distinctions as cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude affixed to their diplomas. These will be awarded based on unweighted GPA with 3.0-3.4 receiving cum laude, and students with 3.5-3.7 will earn magna cum laude, and 3.8-4.0 will earn summa cum laude. 

In most recent Niche rankings, faculty at all 3 high schools earned "A" scores and Monticello earned a "B+." This is according to a press release, but the website has this

Worth Your Time
 


Bell Schedules


November 3, February 9, March 27
Extended First Block for  Survey
0 Period
7:40-8:40
1A
8:55-10:01
(66)
completion school culture survey and make-up for school climate survey
1B
10:06-10:44
(38)
2A
10:49-12:14

Lunch
Class
1st: 10:49-11:29
11:34-12:14
2nd: 11:34-12:14
10:54-11:34
2B
12:19-12:57
(38)
3A
1:02-1:40
(38)
3B
1:45-2:23
(38)
4A
2:28-3:06
(38)
4B
3:11-3:50
(39)



Friday Schedule with Long Lunch
A-Day
January 12, January 26, February 16, March 16
“0” Period (7:40 – 8:40)
1st Period
8:55-10:15
Mustang Morning
10:20-10:55
2nd Period
11:00-1:00

Lunch
Class
1st: 10:55-11:35
11:40-1:00
2nd: 12:20-1:00
11:00-12:20
3rd Period
1:05-2:25
4th Period
2:30-3:50


March 30 ½ Day Bell Schedule
8:55-9:45
1B
9:50-10:35
2B
10:40-11:25
3B
11:30-12:50
4B



Lunch
Class

Lunch 1
11:25-11:55
12:00-12:50
English,
Social Studies, Fine Arts
Lunch 2
11:55-12:25
11:30-11:55 and
12:25-12:50
Math,
CTE, World Language
Lunch 3
12:25-12:50
11:30-12:25
Health/PE,
Special Education,
Science
Lunches
1st
2nd
3rd
Baber
Deegan
Demitry
Eliason
Mound
Shephard
Smith
Stallings
Streit
Warren
Yachim
Ayres
Huneycutt
Rocco
Garland
Stott
Allen
Boyce
Flaherty
Harveycutter
Lantz
Parsons
Remchuk
Robbins
Brown, D
Easton
McClung
Meade
Trent
Frazier
Kai
Keith
Morales
Thomas
Brown, R
Price-Thomas
Sabo
Miller
Stillerman
Clark
Irving
Parks
Rowanhill
Stanek
Strickland
Waters
Ye


No comments:

Post a Comment