Excellence in Education: Plato Had It Right in 387 BCE
In The Republic Plato derided against forced learning:
Elements of instruction...should be presented to the mind in childhood; not, however, under any notion of forcing our system of education.
Because a freeman ought not to be a slave in the acquisition of knowledge of any kind...knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind.
Then, my good friend, I said, do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to find out the natural bent.
In a recent blog, George Couros after viewing this video asked, “Do students create BECAUSE of or IN SPITE of school?”
Learning requires concrete representations of concepts and ideas as a starting point. As we plan lessons, we must ask ourselves:
- How can we provide material and resources to encourage students to create, explore and discover?
- How can we create a culture of creators?
- What do we need to do to spark creativity, provide authenticity and ensure relevancy?
In his blog Couros states, “Often, we share the idea of ‘how do we prepare students for jobs that don’t exist’, but are we truly doing a good job of preparing them for the new jobs that exist in our world today?”
Our students are fortunate, that we’ve created a culture of change, one where individuality and risk-taking are encouraged. We model meaningful change and seek ways to engage our students in real-life learning. Our risk-taking inspires and empowers students.
We must continue to be difference makers.
George Couros’ blog
Positive Referrals: https://goo.gl/forms/HZtZoQqHoa2SWT0H3
Friday Activity Calendar (Mentorship/Portfolio/Club Day) : senior class meeting; mentorship
Portfolio Assistance If you have a student who needs assistance setting up his/her portfolio, click here
Technology / Website Permission Request Form http://go.shr.lc/1HovEA6 Please use this form to request use of a website that requires student log-in if the site is not already on the approved list. DART approved list
Morning Announcement Stream: http://streaming.k12albemarle.org/ACPS/links.htm Please be sure to have announcements cued and ready to go at 8:55 every morning.
Announcement Request: http://tinyurl.com/requestannouncement
Calendar and Memo Items
Academic awards due by end of business on May 1 (see Ms. Haney’s email for more info)
A couple of teachers have inquired about our cell phone policy (from the handbook):
What is the school protocol concerning cell phones?
- Per ACPS policy, the instructor determines how and when electronic devices are used for instructional purposes.
- Violations of this policy should be handled in the following manner
- 1st violation: confiscate the cell phone and return it at the end of the period.
- 2nd violation: confiscate the cell phone, a teacher or another adult brings device to the main office to be “logged”; student may retrieve it at the end of the day.
- 3rd violation: same as 2nd violation, except a parent is called to retrieve phone.
May 5 will be switched to a B-day
Year-end calendar is here.
AP Exams Begin May 1
Final Exam schedule is here
May 1: Vada Holcomb
May 3: Michael Schafer, Kelsey Terpay
Worth Your Time